Women's Health Products Working Group (WHPWG)
Information on the role and membership of the WHPWG and links to meeting communiques
Purpose of WHPWG
The WHPWG is an advisory forum that supports collaboration between the TGA and our stakeholders, including health professionals, academia and patient groups. Its purpose is to:
- discuss issues relating to the regulation of women's health products as they relate to women's health
- provide advice to the Minister on relevant issues
- support other evidence-based outcomes under the National Women’s Health Strategy 2020-30.
The WHPWG will work with the TGA to prioritise and examine questions on women’s health in relation to the evidence used to support the safety, efficacy and quality of medicines and medical devices. This may include:
- questions on current and emerging pre-market and post-market issues
- the identification of areas where further work is needed around regulatory policy and guidance and public and healthcare professional communication and education priorities.
The work of the WHPWG will also support other outcomes under the National Women’s Health Strategy 2020-30 to advance the evidence base on women’s health.
Meetings and communiques
WHPWG meetings are usually held 3 times a year. Following each meeting, a communique is published.
Members of the WHPWG come from consumer, health professional and industry groups and academia:
- Australian Clinical Trials Alliance
- Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine
- Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation
- Australian Women’s Health Network
- Breast Cancer Network Australia
- Consumers Health Forum of Australia
- Federation of Ethnics Communities’ Councils of Australia
- Jean Hailes for Women’s Health
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation
- The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
Committee Support Unit
Collaboration Services Section
Regulatory Education Branch