Breast implant hub
This hub will be updated when new information arises to ensure content is current and relevant for consumers and health practitioners.
NEW: 26 September 2019 - The TGA has completed the review of breast implants and tissue expanders. Read the update.
The TGA continues to monitor the safety and performance of breast implants and urges patients and health professionals to report any problems associated with these devices to the TGA.
If you are considering breast implants, read our page that covers things you should know before undergoing the procedure.
- Acellular dermal matrix products used in breast reconstruction
- Consumer fact sheet: recall of Allergan Biocell breast implants
- Biomaterials and Engineering Laboratory Report: Non-active mammary implants
- Breast Implant Expert and Consumer Working Groups
Breast implant associated cancer
- Breast implants: Report of squamous cell carcinoma and various lymphomas in scar tissue around breast implantsOn 8 September 2022, the US Food and Drug Administration issued a safety communication about reports of squamous cell carcinoma and various lymphomas located in the capsule or scar tissue around breast implants.