You are here
Complementary medicines advertisers: 19 November 2019 update
Consumer Healthcare Products Australia to handle all medicine advertising pre-approval applications
From 19 November 2019, all new applications for approval of medicines advertising in any specified media (broadcast, print, cinema or public display) should be lodged with Consumer Healthcare Products Australia (CHP Australia), which was previously known as the Australian Self Medication Industry.
- A new application form has been published on the website and must be used for all applications from 19 November. CHP Australia will make the decisions on these applications.
- Complementary Healthcare Council of Australia (CHC) is not accepting any new applications for advertising pre-approvals. Applications sent to CHC or TGA will be forwarded to CHP Australia.
- Applications that were received by CHC before 14 November 2019 will still be processed and decided by CHC, with final decisions for all these applications to be made by 27 January 2020.
The new arrangements will apply to all applications until the pre-approval requirement ends on 30 June 2020.
Application fees will not change from those already published on the website.
What do advertisers need to do?
|If you ...||Then ...|
|Are considering an advertisement that will need pre-approval||
|Have lodged a pre-approval application with CHC before 14 November 2019||
Types of media affected
CHP Australia will accept and process applications for advertising of all medicines that can be legally advertised, that will be broadcast through:
- Broadcast television channels
- Broadcast radio
Or published in:
- Mainstream media - i.e.:
- Cinema advertising
- Public displays about goods (excluding retail premises) including posters, billboards and displays in or on public transport, skywriting and related media, show stands and displays.
Any queries about applications currently under consideration should be lodged with CHP Australia or CHC, as appropriate.
Please lodge any queries in relation to this information via the TGA Advertising online query form.