Nicotine vaping products hub
Find out how we define and regulate nicotine vaping products in Australia.
About nicotine vaping products
Nicotine vaping products are finished products ready to supply to consumers that:
- contain nicotine (whether in base or salt form) in solution
- are intended to be vaporised or inhaled using a vaping device (for example an e-cigarette or other electronic nicotine delivery system).
Common nicotine vaping products are liquid nicotine (for example nicotine e-liquids, e-juices and vape juices), including high-concentration liquid nicotine that is intended for dilution by consumers prior to use and the nicotine solution in prefilled nicotine e-cigarettes and pods.
Vaping devices are the electronic devices used to heat vaping products to produce an aerosol that can be inhaled. Vaping devices include e-cigars, vape pens, other electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) and the electrical and heating elements of pre-filled nicotine e-cigarettes and pods.
Nicotine vaping products require a prescription
From 1 October 2021, consumers require a prescription for all purchases of nicotine vaping products, such as nicotine e-cigarettes, nicotine pods and liquid nicotine. This includes purchases from Australian pharmacies and from overseas. It remains illegal for other Australian retailers, such as tobacconists, 'vape' shops and convenience stores, to sell you nicotine vaping products, even if you have a prescription.
Nicotine replacement therapies (including sprays, patches, lozenges, chews and gums) that do not require a prescription will continue to be available from pharmacies and some retail outlets.
Importing, supplying, prescribing, dispensing and accessing nicotine vaping products
Some people may find issues relating to smoking cessation distressing. If you or someone you know needs additional support, please contact any of the below crisis support helplines:
- Lifeline: 13 11 14
- Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
- Beyond Blue: 1800 512 348
- MensLine Australia: 1300 789 978
- Kids Helpline (5-25 years): 1800 551 800
- Headspace: 1800 650 890
- Nicotine vaping products and vaping devices
- Guidance for the use of nicotine vaping products for smoking cessation
- Webinar recording: Proposed changes to the way nicotine is supplied - consumers and health practitioners, 8 Oct 2020
- Webinar presentation: Proposed changes to the way nicotine is supplied - suppliers, 8 Oct 2020
- Webinar recording: Proposed changes to the way nicotine is supplied - consumers and health practitioners, 9 Oct 2020
- Webinar presentation: Nicotine vaping products, the UK smoking cessation experience, 20 October 2021
- Nicotine webinars: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- Infringement notices totalling $588,840 issued to three Sydney-based TSG stores and Jaradat and Sabbagh Group Pty LtdThe TGA has issued 38 infringement notices totalling $588,840 to four Sydney-based entities for allegedly importing 22 consignments containing a total of 379,600 nicotine vaping products.
- Infringement notices totalling $66,600 given to three Sydney-based companies and two individuals for alleged unlawful importation of nicotine vaping productsThe TGA has issued nine infringement notices to three companies and two associated individuals for the alleged unlawful importation of nicotine vaping products.
- The TGA has issued a direction notice to a Melbourne-based individual to cease advertising of all nicotine vaping products.