Lotus Flower capsules
Lotus Flower capsules pose a serious risk to your health and should not be taken.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has tested a product labelled Lotus Flower capsules and found that:
- The capsules contained a derivative of fenfluramine. Fenfluramine is a prescription-only (S4) synthetic anorexic drug, which is no longer available for sale in Australia following its withdrawal from the U.S. market in 1997 after reports of heart valve disease and pulmonary hypertension were associated with its use.
The supply of Lotus Flower capsules containing the undisclosed derivative of fenfluramine is illegal.
Lotus Flower capsules have not been assessed by the TGA for quality, safety or efficacy as required under Australian legislation, and the place of manufacture is not approved by the TGA.
Information for consumers
- Stop taking Lotus Flower capsules and take any remaining capsules to your local pharmacy for safe disposal.
- If you have any concerns arising from your use of this product, consult your health care practitioner.
Action the TGA is taking
The TGA is working with the Australian Border Force (ABF) to help stop future shipments Lotus Flower capsules from entering Australia.
If these capsules are found at the border by the ABF they will be seized and destroyed.
The TGA is advising consumers to exercise extreme caution when purchasing medicines from unknown overseas Internet sites and has produced a short video on the risks associated with buying medicines and medical devices online. Products purchased over the internet:
- may contain undisclosed and potentially harmful ingredients
- may not meet the same standards of quality, safety and efficacy as those approved by the TGA for supply in Australia.
Report counterfeit medicines and medical devices
If you are worried about counterfeit medicines or medical devices, and want to report an issue, you can report the matter to the TGA:
|Phone||1800 020 653|
|Online:||Report a perceived breach of the Therapeutic Goods Act or questionable practices relating to therapeutic products|