Before you advertise therapeutic goods, it is your responsibility to understand the legislative requirements.
Advertisements are required to comply with the advertising requirements set out in the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 and the Therapeutic Goods Advertising Code.
- GuidanceTherapeutic goods advertising and ASX announcementsComplying with the advertising rules for therapeutic goods while meeting continuous disclosure obligations.
- PageThe Advertising Code and naming therapeutic goodsGuidance on the 2021 Therapeutic Goods Advertising Code and naming of therapeutic goods.
- GuidanceTherapeutic goods advertising: Ensuring 'natural' claims are not misleadingGuidance on how advertisers can use terms such as 'natural' without misleading consumers.
Advertising specific products and services
- GuidanceGeneral requirements for advertising personalised medical devices to consumersInformation on the requirements for advertising personalised medical devices to consumers.
- PublicationsAdvertising guidance for businesses involved with medicinal cannabis productsComplying with therapeutic goods advertising requirements.
- PublicationsAdvertising guidance for providers of disease education activitiesComplying with therapeutic goods advertising restrictions.
- PageAdvertising therapeutic goods with COVID-19 testing adviceThis fact sheet explains how sponsors and advertisers of therapeutic goods can legally include statements about COVID-19 testing in their advertising.
- PageAdvertising prescription medicine Ozempic (semaglutide) is prohibitedOzempic is a prescription only medicine and cannot be advertised to the public.
- GuidanceAdvertising nicotine vaping products to the Australian publicInformation on how pharmacies and pharmacy marketing groups can legally advertise nicotine vaping products.
- PageAdvertising: when cosmetics are regulated as therapeutic goodsExamples to help illustrate areas of non-compliance in advertising cosmetics.
- GuidanceAdvertising for health servicesAdvertising for services that inherently involve therapeutic goods, need to comply with the legislative requirements.
- PagePreparing education materials and advertising for pain relief productsGuidance for sponsors and advertisers in the context of the up-scheduling of codeine.
- PublicationsAdvertising guidance for businesses involved with stem cells and other human cell or tissue (HCT) productsComplying with therapeutic goods advertising restrictions.
- GuidanceGuidance on mushroom productsWhen mushroom products are likely to be considered foods or therapeutic goods under the Act.
Advertising to health professionals
- GuidanceAdvertising to health professionalsHow to direct therapeutic goods advertising exclusively to health professionals so that the consumer advertising requirements do not apply.
- GuidanceAdvertising therapeutic goods that are only sold to health professionalsFact sheet explaining how advertisers can make it clear in publicly available content that a therapeutic good is only available to health professionals.
Social media advertising
- GuidanceTGA social media advertising guideThis guide is designed to help advertisers apply the legislative requirements for advertising therapeutic goods on social media platforms.
- GuidanceAdvertising: Sample social media acceptable use policyWe have published a social media acceptable use policy that advertisers can use on their digital platforms.