You are here
Consultation: Changes to a number of definitions and the scope of the medical device regulatory framework in Australia
This consultation closed on 18 February 2019.
The EU Regulation on medical devices (2017/745) (EU MD Regulation) introduced several amendments, including a number of new and amended definitions and an expanded scope of products that were regulated under the new EU MD Regulation.
Having regard to the amendments implemented by the EU MD Regulation, the TGA is proposing to introduce a number of new and amended definitions, and a revised scope of the products regulated as medical devices in Australia.
This consultation considers the EU requirements as an input to determine the extent to which a similar approach may be appropriate in Australia, while also maintaining high standards of quality, safety and performance.
- Consultation paper: Changes to a number of definitions, and the scope, of the medical device regulatory framework in Australia (pdf,361kb)
- Consultation paper: Changes to a number of definitions, and the scope, of the medical device regulatory framework in Australia (docx,146kb)
Document released for consultation on Monday, 7 January 2019.
Interested parties should respond by close of business Monday, 18 February 2018.
Feedback will be released following consideration of submissions (see 'What will happen').
Content of submissions
Submissions must be relevant to the proposed amendments and questions detailed within the consultation paper.
In addition, submissions may include information on:
- Suggested improvements.
- Whether or not you support the proposals, including suggestions for alternatives.
- An assessment of how the proposal will impact on you.
How to submit
Complete the online consultation submission form to upload your submission in either pdf or word format.
Alternatively, hardcopy submissions with a printed cover sheet may be mailed to:
Medical Devices Branch
Therapeutic Goods Administration
PO Box 100
WODEN ACT 2606
Any questions relating to submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will happen
All submissions will be placed on this website unless marked confidential or indicated otherwise in the submission form (see Privacy information).
Submissions will be reviewed by the TGA and feedback on submissions will be provided through this website.
Recommendations made by the TGA following consideration of submissions from interested parties will be published on the TGA website as outcomes.
- The TGA collects your personal information in this submission in order to:
- contact you if the TGA wants to seek clarification of issues raised in your submission or to check whether you consent to certain information that you have provided being made publicly available
- help provide context about your submission (e.g. to determine whether you are an individual or a director of a company or representing an interest group)
- seek feedback about how the consultation was undertaken.
- Please do not include personal information about other individuals in the body of your submission. Personal information in this context means information or an opinion about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
- More information on consultations and privacy is included in the submission form and on our website.