You are here
Avaira Toric contact lenses - specific lots
Specific packs of Avaira Toric contact lenses are being recalled by CooperVision Australia Pty Ltd after the company received complaints of temporary hazy or blurry vision and discomfort from wearers. This recall is part of a global voluntary recall of specific lots.
Laboratory tests have found that these symptoms were caused by a small amount of residue on the lenses. In all reported cases the symptoms were temporary and reversed after the contact lenses were removed. There have been no reported cases of permanent eye damage.
Information for consumers
- Discontinue use of Avaira Toric contact lenses until you have checked the lot number.
- Check whether or not the lot number of your product is included in the recall. This can be done by:
- viewing the recall notice on the CooperVision website
- contacting the CooperVision customer service line on 1800 722 310
- contacting your eye care practitioner.
- If your product is included in the recall, return it to your place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.
- If you have experienced blurry vision or discomfort while wearing these contact lenses, and the symptoms have not resolved within two hours of removing the lenses, contact your eye care practitioner for further advice.
- Information on how to report a suspected problem with a medicine or medical device to the TGA can be found at Reporting Problems.
Avaira Toric contact lenses are silicone hydrogel contact lenses supplied sterile in blister packs of six. Each lens is indicated for up to two weeks of daily wear. Lot numbers can be found both on the packaging and on the individual blister packs.
Only a small number of complaints have been received from Australian consumers. The cause of the symptoms is thought to be transient or reversible swelling of the surface layer of the cornea, which is known as corneal epithelial oedema.
The recall has been notified to eye care practitioners, and customers known to eye care practitioners may be contacted directly.