Avaira Sphere contact lenses: recall of particular packs
Specific packs (lots) of Avaira Sphere contact lenses are being recalled by CooperVision Australia Pty Ltd. The company has undertaken tests and decided that the amount of silicone oil on the contact lenses in these packs may be above acceptable limits.
This recall differs from the previous recall of Avaira Toric Contact Lenses which occurred in August 2011 and is being undertaken as a precaution.
The presence of the residue (silicone oil) on Avaira Sphere contact lenses may cause hazy vision or discomfort, eye pain or eye injuries requiring medical treatment. Not everyone experiences the same symptoms. There have been no reported cases of permanent eye damage.
The recall is part of a global voluntary recall of specific packs of the lenses.
Other names for Avaira Sphere contact lenses
The Avaira Sphere Contact Lenses are also marketed under the following names:
- Clear Choice Premium Plus 14 Day Sphere
- Prevue Platinum Sphere
- ProActive Premium Sphere
- VisionPlus Fortnightly Sphere
- Softview Fortnightly Plus Sphere
- See and Save Premium 2 Week Sphere
- Trio2 Premium 2 Week Sphere
- Ascend Evolve Sphere
- Betaview 2 Weekly Sphere
- Easyvision Elite Fortnightly Sphere
Information for consumers
- You should discontinue use of Avaira Sphere contact lenses until you have checked the lot number.
- Lot numbers can be found both on the packaging and on the individual blister packs.
- You can find a list of all lot numbers being recalled by:
- checking the recall notice on the CooperVision website
- contacting the CooperVision customer service line on 1800 722 310
- contacting your eye care practitioner.
- If your product is included in the recall, return it to your place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.
- If you have experienced blurry vision or discomfort while wearing these contact lenses, and the symptoms have not resolved within two hours of removing the lenses, contact your eye care practitioner for further advice.
- Information on how to report a suspected problem with a medicine or medical device to the TGA can be found at Reporting Problems.
Avaira Sphere contact lenses are silicone hydrogel contact lenses supplied sterile in blister packs of six or as single lenses. Each lens is indicated for up to two weeks of daily wear.
As a result of the previous recall, CooperVision Inc set limits on the amount of silicone oil that can be on the lenses. During the process of making the lenses, tests are undertaken to ensure that all lots comply with these new limits. CooperVision Inc has tested lots that were made before the new process began and is recalling all noncompliant lots.
The recall has been notified to eye care practitioners, and customers who are known to eye care practitioners may be contacted directly.