Advisory Committee on Medical Devices (ACMD)
Role of the ACMD
The Advisory Committee on Medical Devices (ACMD) provides independent medical and scientific advice to the Minister and the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) on safety, quality and performance of medical devices supplied in Australia including issues relating to premarket conformity assessment and post market monitoring.
The Committee is established under Regulation 38 of the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990 and the members are appointed by the Minister for Health.
On 1 January 2010 changes were made to the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990, which established the ACMD in place of the previous Committee, the Medical Devices Evaluation Committee.
The process for appointing a Chair is currently underway.
- Professor Jane Dahlstrom is a professor of Anatomical Pathology at the Australian National University Medical School and is a Senior Staff Specialist for ACT Pathology in the Canberra Hospital. She is a Visiting Fellow at the John Curtin School of Medical Research and an Anatomical Pathologist within public sector pathology. Professor Dahlstrom is also a Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia (anatomical and faculties of oral pathology and science) and provides expertise in the field of pathology.
- Dr Charles Fisher has been a Consultant Vascular Surgeon for almost twenty years. He has a Bachelor's degree in research in Neurophysiology and a Masters degree in both Health Management and Clinical Epidemiology. Professor Fisher has published extensively and was a co-author of the International Consensus Statement on the Diagnosis and Prevention of Deep Vein Thrombosis. In addition to vascular surgery, his particular clinical interests include vascular ultrasound, venous thrombosis and evidence-based clinical practice. Professor Fisher provides expertise in the field of vascular surgery.
- Dr Yvonne Ho AM is a Consultant Radiologist/Nuclear Medicine Specialist, a member of the Board of Directors of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists and other professional bodies including Australasian Association of Nuclear Medicine Specialists. With her extensive experience in all aspects of imaging, nationally and internationally, and in medical research, she provides expertise in the field of clinical medicine (radiology, nuclear medicine, positron emission tomography, hybrid imaging).
- Dr Graham Mercer is Head of Orthopaedics at the Repatriation General Hospital in South Australia. He is a long standing member and Chair of the Australian Orthopaedic Association National Joint Replacement Registry Committee and the immediate past President of the Australian Orthopaedic Association. Dr Mercer undertook service redesign and establishment of the arthroplasty unit at the Repatriation General Hospital commencing in 2004 and remains the Head of Department. Dr Mercer provides expertise in the field of orthopaedics.
- Dr Aiden O'Loughlin is a Senior Lecturer in Cardiology at the University of Western Sydney. His major research interest is in coronary artery disease. He trained in cardiology at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney and at Stanford Hospital in California, USA. Dr O'Loughlin provides expertise in the field of cardiology.
- Ms Jan Saunders is the Executive Officer of the Asthma Foundation in the Northern Territory. She began her career as a registered nurse/midwife in South Australia before relocating with her family to the Northern Territory. She commenced with the Asthma Foundation as an asthma educator and soon progressed to the role of Education Manager. In July 2005 she was appointed Executive Officer where she now leads a small group of passionate personnel who work together to achieve better health outcomes for people with asthma. Ms Saunders provides expertise in consumer issues.
- Professor Anne Simmons is the Head of the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering at the University of New South Wales where she is an active researcher in biomaterials and blood flow haemodynamics. Prior to joining the university, she worked in a range of medical device companies in the areas of research and development, clinical and regulatory affairs and manufacturing. Professor Simmons provides expertise in the fields of medical device manufacture, biomedical engineering, and biomaterials.
- Dr Joanna Sutherland is a Conjoint Senior Lecturer at the University of New South Wales Rural Clinical School, and Visiting Anaesthetist at the Coffs Harbour Health Campus. Dr Sutherland is a member of several professional bodies, including the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists, the NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation, Anaesthesia and Peri-operative Care Network Executive, and NSW Surgical Services Taskforce. Dr Sutherland is also a member of the NSW Mid North Coast Local Health District Governing Board and provides expertise in the field of anaesthetics.
- Dr Elaine Wong is a senior research Fellow at the Centre for Eye Research Australia at the University of Melbourne. She is also a consultant ophthalmologist at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital and a fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists. Dr Wong is a member of the Visual Standard Committee providing advice to VicRoads and provides expertise in the field of ophthalmology.
ACMD meeting dates
ACMD planned meeting dates 2015
|Meeting no.||Meeting date|
|18||16 February 2015|
|19||31 March 2015|
|20||14 May 2015|
|21||25 June 2015|
|22||12 August 2015|
|23||25 September 2015|
|24||11 November 2015|
Contacting the ACMD
To contact the ACMD Secretariat:
|Phone||+61 2 6232 8734|
|Fax||+61 2 6203 1250|
|Postal address||Advisory Committee on Medical Devices
Therapeutic Goods Administration
PO Box 100
Woden ACT 2606