Advisory Committee on Complementary Medicines (ACCM)
The Advisory Committee on Complementary Medicines (ACCM) was formed in January 2010 to advise and make recommendations to the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) on the inclusion, variation or retention of a complementary medicine in the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods.
ACCM may also provide advice to the TGA on any other matters concerning complementary medicines, and any other matters referred to it by the TGA (whether or not related to a complementary medicine).
ACCM supersedes the Complementary Medicines Evaluation Committee (CMEC) and has an increased focus on the advisory role within the regulatory framework of complementary medicines.
A major role for ACCM is to provide scientific and policy advice relating to controls on the supply and use of complementary medicines in Australia. The ACCM provides this advice with particular reference to the safety and quality of products and, where appropriate, efficacy relating to the claims made for products.
The process for appointing a new Chair is currently underway.
- Associate Professor John Edwards is a toxicologist and occupational hygienist with 30 years experience in the tertiary sector. His research interests span investigations of exposure to environmental chemicals, including pesticides, nanomaterials and illegal drug laboratories. He also examines the toxicity of foods and novel food products. He is Associate Dean for Teaching and Learning at the School of the Environment, Flinders University. Associate Professor Edwards provides expertise in the field of toxicology.
- Ms Jane Frawley is a research scholar in the Faculty of Health at the University of Technology Sydney and has experience in the fields of pharmacology, herbal medicine and nutritional medicine. Ms Frawley is also the chair of the Australian Register of Naturopaths and Herbalists Education Standards committee. Ms Frawley provides expertise in the field of complementary medical practice (naturopathy and herbal medicine).
- Ms Patricia Greenway is a strategic planning consultant with extensive knowledge and experience relating to consumers within the health sphere. Ms Greenway is currently a member of Medicines Australia and the Consumer Health Forum of Australia. Ms Greenway provides expertise on consumer issues.
- Mr Peter Kissane is currently the Chief Operating Officer of Sphere Healthcare Pty Ltd. He has more than 30 years experience in pharmaceutical manufacturing, having held various positions in Australian and multi-national companies, in both local and regional roles. His experience covers manufacturing, testing, new product development and quality assurance of pharmaceutical and complementary medicines. Mr Kissane provides expertise in the field of complementary medicines manufacture.
- Ms Karen Martin is a Naturopathic Practitioner and Director at the Well2 in Adelaide. Ms Martin provides experience in the fields of herbal medicine, complementary medicine practice and nutrition, and is a member of the Australian Naturopathic Practitioners Association. Ms Martin provides expertise in the field of naturopathy.
- Associate Professor Marie Pirotta is a General Practitioner and National Health and Medical Research Council Career Development Fellow in the Department of General practice at the University of Melbourne. Associate Professor Pirotta has experience in the field of complementary medicine research, and is the current Chair of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners National Standing Committee - Research. Associate Professor Pirotta provides expertise in the field of general medical practice.
- Associate Professor Xianqin Qu is an Associate Professor of Medical and Molecular Biosciences at the University of Technology Sydney and has experience in clinical pharmacology. Associate Professor Qu provides expertise in the field of complementary medical practice (traditional Chinese medicines).
- Dr Simon Spedding is a Medical Practitioner and Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at the University of South Australia, and has over 20 years of clinical practice as an Exercise and Sports Physician. Dr Spedding has experience in the fields of general medicine, sport and exercise medicine, evidence based medicine and nutrition. Dr Spedding provides expertise in the field of epidemiology.
- Professor Peter Williams is a Professor of Nutrition and Dietetics at the University of Canberra, Visiting Principal Fellow in the Smart Foods Centre at the University of Wollongong, and Fellow of Food Standards Australia New Zealand and the Dietitians Association of Australia. Professor Williams provides expertise in the fields of nutrition and nutritional medicine.
- Associate Professor Hans Wohlmuth is the Research & Development Manager at Integria Healthcare and an Adjunct Associate Professor with Southern Cross University, where he established the Medicinal Plant Herbarium and co-founded the Herbal Authentication Service. He has more than 25 years experience in the fields of herbal medicine and naturopathy. Associate Professor Wohlmuth provides expertise in the field of pharmacognosy.
ACCM planned meeting dates 2015
|Meeting no.||Meeting date|
|17||12 March 2015|
|18||16 July 2015|
|19||12 November 2015|
To contact the ACCM Secretariat:
+61 2 6232 8734
|Fax||+61 2 6203 1250|
Advisory Committee on Complementary Medicines