1 August 2012
With few exceptions, the TGA's regulatory fees and charges are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- An application fee (or 'screening fee') is non-refundable.
- An application fee will be transferred where an application is withdrawn and resubmitted (unaltered) at the request of the TGA.
- Evaluation fees are non-refundable following acceptance by the TGA, unless the applicable fee has been waived or reduced after payment has been made (see below).
- Annual charges for entries on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (the Register) and for manufacturing licences cannot be refunded following payment where the entry or licence has been in force at any time during the financial year.
Sponsors and manufacturers should carefully review each application prior to submission to ensure that it is correct in all respects. This will avoid paying undue fees and charges.
Application fees may be transferred to another application where a submission is unable to be processed due to an error in a TGA online system or as a result of following instructions from the TGA.
Evaluation fees are non-refundable following acceptance by the TGA, however a refund may be made where the Secretary has determined a reduction or waiver of an evaluation fee should be made in accordance with the Regulations.
- Annual charges are payable for a therapeutic good that has been entered on the Register, and manufacturing licences that have been in force at any time during the financial year to which the charge relates.
- The Therapeutic Goods (Charges) Act 1989, (the Charges Act) does not allow the TGA any discretion to reduce or waiver annual charges.
- An annual charge is non-refundable following receipt of payment.
- New entries and licences approved at any point during a year incur the full annual charge.
- Entries and licences cancelled during the year remain liable for payment of the annual charge.
An annual charge is not payable in relation to an entry on the Register that has been declared to be of low value turnover (LVT). However, LVT application forms are unable to be accepted after the due dates specified below
LVT application deadlines - Existing register entries
Applications for LVT exemptions for 2012-13 annual registration, listing or inclusion charges for existing Register entries must be received before 2 September 2012.
LVT application deadlines - New register entries
For new Register entries, LVT applications must be received at least 21 days before the date of payment mentioned in Regulation 43AAA (being the last day of the second month after the month when goods were entered in the Register).
TGA Revenue Manager: Facsimile 02 6232 8222 or by email to email@example.com.
Therapeutic Goods Act 1989
- Paragraph 63(2)(h) provides that the Regulations may prescribe fees.
- Paragraph 63(3)(b) provides for the refund, reduction or waiving of fees or charges in cases identified in the Regulations.
Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990
- Part 2 of Schedule 9 to the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990 sets out the table of fees payable.
- Item 2(ba) of Schedule 9 sets out the application fees retained for screening a submission prior to acceptance for evaluation.
- Regulation 45 provides that the Secretary may waive or reduce fees specified in Schedule 9 under certain circumstances.
Therapeutic Goods (Charges) Act 1990
- Section 4 establishes annual charges.
Therapeutic Goods (Charges) Regulations 1990
- Rates of annual charges.
Content last updated: Wednesday, 1 August 2012
Content last reviewed: Wednesday, 1 August 2012
Web page last updated: Wednesday, 1 August 2012