You are here
Ozempic (semaglutide) shortage collection
Increased global demand for semaglutide products is impacting availability of Ozempic (semaglutide) in Australia. Alerts on the shortage of Trulicity (dulaglutide) and Mounjaro (tirzepatide) are also accessible from this collection.
Read current information and updates at:
About the Ozempic (semaglutide) shortage 2022 and 2023
About the Trulicity (dulaglutide) shortage 2022 and 2023
The pharmaceutical company that supplies Ozempic, Novo Nordisk, has recently advised the TGA and the Ozempic Medicine Shortage Action Group that supply throughout the rest of the year and into 2024 will be limited. Currently we are asking health professionals not to prescribe Ozempic to new patients to conserve supply for patients who are already stabilised on this medicine and who do not have suitable alternatives.
Visit the Medicine shortage reports database to search for all medicines in shortage and find information about management actions.
- Safety alertsWe are aware of an emerging trend for telehealth providers to offer compounded semaglutide-like products. Compounded semaglutide-like products are ‘unapproved’ therapeutic goods and have not been evaluated by us for safety, quality and efficacy.
- Medicine shortage alertsThe availability of all strengths of Mounjaro (tirzepatide) will be limited until 31 August 2024, due to unexpected high demand. Patients and healthcare professionals should check the Medicine Shortage Reports Database for the latest supply information.
- Medicine shortage alertsRead advice about not prescribing Ozempic to new patients unless there are no suitable alternatives or there is a compelling clinical reason.
- Medicine shortage alertsThe supply of Ozempic (semaglutide) in Australia is improving however the shortage continues. Stay updated about how the shortage impacts you.
- Medicine shortage alertsThere remains an increased global demand for semaglutide products which is impacting availability and certainty of supply of Ozempic (semaglutide) in Australia until early 2023.
- Joint statement: Prioritisation of semaglutide (Ozempic) supply for people with type 2 diabetes during shortageMedicine shortage alertsJoint statement on the Ozempic (semaglutide) shortage and prioritisation for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Media releasesThe TGA is aware of several scams targeting consumers seeking semaglutide (Ozempic). Consumers are strongly advised not to use products unless they have come from a trusted source.