You are here
The content on this page and other TGA archive pages is provided to assist research and may contain references to activities or policies that have no current application. See the full archive disclaimer.
Review of non-prescription analgesics: an update
The Review of Non-prescription Analgesics - an update was released by Ms Trish Worth, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Health and Ageing on 2 June 2003.
This review was undertaken to address ongoing public health and safety concerns surrounding the labelling and packaging of OTC analgesic medicines.
The review built on an earlier publication, Review of Non-prescription Analgesics, which was released by the TGA in 1998.
Contents of Review of non-prescription analgesics - an update
- Abbreviations used in the Update
- Terms of reference
- The analgesic market
- Australian data
- Ibuprofen - Overdoses and inappropriate dosing
- Children's doses and labelling requirements for paracetamol and ibuprofen
- Paracetamol and alcohol
- Aspirin and the NSAIDs, alcohol and stomach bleeding
- Additional United Kingdom warning statements
- Labelling of analgesics
- Appendix 1 - SUSDP Schedule 2 entry for paracetamol
- Appendix 2 - Survey of paracetamol-induced admissions to the Royal Children's Hospital 1998 - 2001
- Appendix 3 - Example of a British package insert for paracetamol
- Appendix 4 - Summary of comments from stakeholders
- References and further reading