Find out how we define and regulate vapes in Australia.
The Minister for Health and Aged Care has announced the Government’s intention to take strong action to address vaping in Australia, by introducing a comprehensive range of reforms. These reforms will result in significant changes to the regulatory requirements for the importation, manufacture and supply of vapes in Australia, irrespective of nicotine content or therapeutic claims. Read more about the reforms to the regulation of vapes.
Vapes containing nicotine require a prescription
Vapes containing nicotine, including nicotine e-cigarettes, nicotine pods and liquid nicotine can only be supplied in Australia with a prescription. All vapes containing nicotine are regulated as prescription medicines under the therapeutic goods framework so can only be supplied in pharmacy settings.
It is unlawful for retailers such as tobacconists, vape shops and convenience stores, to sell vapes containing nicotine, even to customers with a prescription.
Nicotine replacement therapies included in the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (such as patches, lozenges, chews and gums) do not require a prescription and continue to be available from pharmacies and some retail outlets.
Importing, supplying, prescribing, dispensing and accessing vapes in Australia
Some people may find issues relating to smoking cessation distressing. If you or someone you know needs additional support, please contact any of the below crisis support helplines.
You can also phone the Quitline on 13 7848 or visit the Quit website- external site to discuss the various options available to help you quit smoking or to manage nicotine dependence, including prescription medicines, nicotine replacement therapies and support services.
- Lifeline: 13 11 14
- Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
- Beyond Blue: 1800 512 348
- MensLine Australia: 1300 789 978
- Kids Helpline (5-25 years): 1800 551 800
- Headspace: 1800 650 890
- The Australian Border Force (ABF) and partners have seized more than five and a half million cigarette sticks and prevented hundreds of thousands of prohibited vapes and drug items from reaching the streets of Sydney.
- Therapeutic Goods (Therapeutic Vaping Goods - Transitional Manufacturer Notification Form) Approval 2024This instrument is made under regulation 97 of the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990.
- This instrument is made under Schedule 5A to the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990 and Schedule 4 to the Therapeutic Goods (Medical Devices) Regulations 2002.