You are here
The content on this page and other TGA archive pages is provided to assist research and may contain references to activities or policies that have no current application. See the full archive disclaimer.
Presentation: TGA Licensing & Certification Applications: TGA Business Services Portal for biologicals
TGA presentations: Biotherapeutics Association of Australasia 2016 AGM, TGA Workshop & Education Session, Canberra
These presentation papers are provided on the TGA's website solely for the purpose of indicating or suggesting what TGA representatives spoke about to the various conferences and seminars to which it relates. The papers are not legislative in nature and should not be taken to be statements of any law or policy in any way.
The Australian Government Department of Health (of which the TGA is a part) advises that (a) the presentation papers should not be relied upon in any way as representing a comprehensive description of regulatory requirements, and (b) cannot guarantee, and assumes no legal liability or responsibility for, the accuracy, currency or completeness of the information contained in the presentation paper.
- Presented by: Paul Oosterwyk and Nicola Carr, Manufacturing Quality Branch, Medical Devices and Product Quality Division, Therapeutic Goods Administration
- Presented at: Biotherapeutics Association of Australasia 2016 AGM, TGA Workshop & Education Session, Canberra
- Presentation date: 13 October 2016
- Presentation summary: Using the TGA Business Services Portal to apply for manufacturing licences and variations for biologicals.
TGA Licensing & Certification Applications: TGA Business Services Portal for TGA manufacturing licences and variations - biologicals
Paul Oosterwyk - Director, Manufacturers Assessment Support Nicola Carr - A/g Assistant Director, Licensing & Certification Manufacturing Quality Branch, Medical Devices and Product Quality Division
Biotherapeutics Association of Australasia 2016 AGM, TGA Workshop & Education Session
Slide 1 - Agenda
- About the Manufacturing Quality Branch
- TGA Business Services Portal
- Fees & Charges
Slide 2 - About the Manufacturing Quality Branch (MQB)
- MQB is part of the Medical Device and Product Quality Division (MD&PQD) in the TGA.
- MQB is responsible for ensuring manufacturers of medicines as well as blood, tissue and cellular therapies, meet appropriate quality standards. This involves both the physical inspection of manufacturing facilities in Australia and abroad as well as provision of clearances for facilities where suitable inspections have been carried out by comparable overseas regulators.
- The branch also coordinates product recalls when necessary and provides technical advice to support Medicines Regulation Division decisions, particularly on matters relating to manufacturing practice and quality management.
Slide 3 - Licensing & certification applications
- All Australian sites participating in the manufacture of the therapeutic goods, unless exempt, must have a licence to manufacture therapeutic goods issued by the TGA that permits the manufacturing steps and dosage forms relevant to the goods being supplied, under the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 and the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990.
- For sites located overseas, a Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) clearance for the site that permits the manufacturing steps for the required dosage forms to be undertaken may be required.
- You need to be a TGA client with access to TGA Business Services (TBS) to make an application. Only Australian manufacturers, sponsors and agents can lodge applications for Licences and / or Certification.
- To lodge applications, log into https://www.ebs.tga.gov.au/
Slide 4 - TBS Portal - landing page
Slide 5 - Lodging manufacturing applications
Slide 6 - Submitting a new licence application
- Select licence application
- Complete all mandatory fields in all tabs of the application form
- Attach the required supporting documents
- For new TGA licences, make a declaration on Certificate 38(1)(g)
- A Site Master File, Quality Manual or equivalent must be prepared and submitted as part of the application.
- Select 'Validate'
- Select 'Submit'.
Slide 7 - Submitting a licence variation application
- Click on Your TGA → Manufacturer Information
- When you locate your licence, double click on it to open the application
- Click on the 'vary application' button at the top of the application
- Vary the required details (eg: licence nominees)
Slide 8 - Submitting a licence variation application
- In the Type of Change tab, please enter a description of the type of change requested
- Select 'Validate'
- Select 'Submit'.
Slide 9 - Useful links
TGA Business Services
Slide 10 - Fees & charges
Domestic manufacturing of biologicals Item Fee Australian manufacturing sites - application fee for a manufacturing licence $1,050 Initial manufacturing audit - inspection fee for Australian and overseas manufacturing sites $20,800 Subsequent manufacturing audit - inspection fee for Australian and overseas manufacturing sites $15,700
- There is no annual charge for a manufacturer who only manufactures biologicals, sub regulation 3(2)(m) Therapeutic Goods (Charges) Regulations 1990.
- There are additional fees for overseas manufacturing sites not shown. Refer to Schedule 9A of the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990.
Slide 11 - Fees & charges
- TGA has identified a billing issue in our online systems. The issue affects Australian manufacturers who only undertake the manufacture of biologicals.
- The issue concerns the invoicing of the correct application fee of $1,050.00 though the tBS Portal, for a manufacturing licence application under 37(1)(g) of the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989.
- An interim process to ensure invoicing of the correct amount has been developed and will be in place this week to resolve the issue. Details of this process will be available on TGA's Notices for Manufacturers page on our website.
Slide 12 - Useful links
Fees & Charges
Slide 13 - Contact TGA
General & Australian manufacturing enquiries: email@example.com
Overseas manufacturing enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
1800 446 443 (freecall within Australia)
+61 2 6221 6881
Users who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment can call through the National Relay Service:
TTY or computer with modem users: phone 1800 555 677 then ask for 1800 446 443
Speak and listen (speech to speech relay) users: phone 1800 555 727 then ask for 1800 446 443
Fax +61 2 6232 8426 Postal Manufacturing Quality Branch
Therapeutic Goods Administration
PO Box 100
Woden ACT 2606
Slice 13 - Contact TGA
Contact TGA Address Therapeutic Goods Administration
136 Narrabundah Lane
Symonston ACT 2609