You are here
Nicotine Vaping products, the UK smoking cessation experience; practical tips for Australian prescribers
From 1 October 2021, all supply of nicotine vaping products will require a prescription from an Australian medical practitioner (whether the supply is domestic or by way of importation).
This is the second and final webinar TGA are hosting in the series to support healthcare practitioners to aid consumers wanting to quit, including those who are present users of nicotine vaping products.
Adj Professor Skerritt, from the Department of Health's Therapeutic Goods Administration, will chair the event, joined by three UK specialists, Julia Robson, Professor Paul Aveyard and Jamie Hartmann-Boyce, with extensive practical and clinical expertise in smoking cessation, particularly in the role nicotine vaping products can play in a person's journey to quit.
Meet the Panel
- Julia Robson is currently a Tobacco Control Programme Manager at the Office for Health Improvement and Disparities (formerly Public Health England) involved in the work around smoking cessation and e-cigarettes. She brings practical frontline experience of delivering support to quitters using e-cigarettes, having lead a large stop smoking service for over 15 years before moving to PHE. This service was one of the first in England to introduce a specific vaping voucher programme in 2016 to increase access to e-cigarettes for smoking cessation.
- Professor Paul Aveyard is a practising GP and Professor of Behavioural Medicine at Oxford University. He brings extensive experience from the Primary Care perspective, in addition to research in this context including the role of primary care in smoking cessation and use of e-cigarettes. Optimising standard care smoking cessation advice from Health Care Assistants, Practice Nurses and GPs in the Management of Smoking in Primary Care (MaSC) trial - SPCR (nihr.ac.uk)
- Jamie Hartmann-Boyce is part of the Cochrane Collaboration and leads on the Cochrane Living Review on e-cigarettes Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation - Hartmann-Boyce, J - 2021 | Cochrane Library and runs a monthly podcast on recent research related to e-cigarettes. Let's talk e-cigarettes Podcast | Cochrane
- Adj Professor Skerritt, from the Department of Health's Therapeutic Goods Administration, heads the Health Products Regulation Group, which works to safeguard and enhance the health of all Australians through effective, timely and risk proportionate regulation of therapeutic goods and control of drug import, export and production.
How do I register?
- Date: Wednesday 20 October 2021
- Time: 07:00pm - 08:00pm AEDT
- Where: Online