You are here
Market research: Informing TGA education and communication activities
In 2013, market research was conducted with consumers, health professionals and industry to inform the development of targeted and effective educational materials and improve our communication strategies and practices.
Specific research objectives
The specific objectives of the research were to determine:
- levels of awareness about therapeutic goods and their regulation
- levels of awareness about who the TGA is and what our role is
- knowledge gaps, including anomalies, misconceptions and information stakeholders would like to receive
- key triggers to seeking information from or about the TGA
- information sources that are currently used, and preferred methods of receiving and accessing information
The social science based research design incorporated a mixed methodology of qualitative and quantitative research conducted in four stages - information gathering, qualitative insights, benchmark surveys and testing of final material.
Participants were recruited for the research in three main categories; consumers, health professionals and industry.
For the quantitative stage, participants were further broken down into the following categories:
- general consumers
- potential suppliers (consumers who work within the health and fitness or beauty industries who wish to import and sell therapeutic goods)
- health professionals
- GPs, specialists and practice managers
- other health professionals (pharmacists, nurses, midwives, dental practitioners, allied health practitioners and complementary healthcare practitioners)
- members of the regulated industry (sponsors, manufacturers, regulatory affairs consultants, owners, employees and industry association representatives)
The reports include information on the number of participants involved in the research.
We used the services of a professional market research organisation to ensure that the research would be independent, effective in eliciting the information we needed, and that we would receive a high quality analysis of responses from representative samples of stakeholders.