Codeine information hub
Changes to patient access for medicines containing codeine
No therapeutic product is ever completely risk free. Some risks may be known when a medicine or medical device is first entered on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG). However, some information only comes to light after more people use the products.
- Consumer fact sheet: Codeine-containing medicines: Harms and changes to patient access
- Frequently asked questions about Codeine
Explore this page to find out more about the TGA's recent decision regarding medicines which contain codeine.
Chronic Pain management
Further information for individuals experiencing chronic pain is available at:
- Information on living with and managing chronic pain
- Tips for talking to your health professional, including a communication tool
- Other Useful links and resources for managing pain
- Managing Chronic pain video Dr Malcolm Hogg, Head of Pain Management Services, Royal Melbourne Hospital
- FAQs about chronic pain
If you think that you are unable to manage without codeine and experience some of the side effects of withdrawal talk to your doctor about getting help.