You are here
Scheduling delegates' final decisions: NCEs, May 2018
Scheduling medicines and poisons
New Chemical Entities - medicines for human therapeutic use
Delegate's final decision
The delegate's final decision is to amend the Poisons Standard to include ramucirumab in Schedule 4 as follows:
Schedule 4 - New Entry
Implementation date: 1 June 2018
The matters under subsection 52E (1) of the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 considered relevant by the delegate include:
- the risks and benefits of the use of a substance
- Ramucirumab is an active chemical substance which has significant risks. The risk-benefit balance for an individual patient, including explanation of the risks in order for the balance to be understood, requires the input of a medical practitioner.
- the toxicity of a substance
- Ramucirumab can cause significant, potentially fatal toxicity
The delegate of the Secretary proposed to amend the Poisons Standard with respect to ramucirumab.
Ramucirumab is not specifically scheduled in the Poisons Standard, but as a monoclonal antibody, it is captured by the Schedule 4 entry for monoclonal antibodies as follows:
MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES for therapeutic use except:
- in diagnostic test kits; or
- when separately specified in these Schedules.
The delegate considered the following in regards to this scheduling:
- Advice on the place in therapy of this medicine;
- Scheduling Policy Framework (SPF 2018); and
- Section 52E(1) of the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 in particular: (a) the risks and benefits of the use of a substance; and (c) the toxicity of a substance.