Yixiu L-Carnitine Slimming capsules
The supply of Yixiu L-Carnitine Slimming capsule in Australia is illegal. However, a number of people in Australia have bought the product online.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has tested Yixiu L-Carnitine Slimming capsule and found that:
- it contains the undeclared prescription substance sibutramine (which was the active ingredient in Reductil) - this is despite the claim made on the box that it is a 100% natural product and contains no medicines
- consumers are advised that sibutramine was a prescription-only medicine supplied in Australia until it was withdrawn in October 2010 after a study showed an increased risk of major cardiac events.
Information for consumers
Yixiu L-Carnitine Slimming capsule poses a serious risk to your health.
- Stop taking Yixiu L-Carnitine Slimming capsule and discard any remaining capsules.
- If you have any concerns arising from your use of this product, consult your health care practitioner.
Yixiu L-Carnitine Slimming capsule has not been assessed by the TGA for quality, safety or efficacy as required under Australian legislation, and the place of manufacture is not approved by the TGA.
Action the TGA is taking
The TGA is working with Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (Customs) to help stop future shipments of Yixiu L-Carnitine Slimming capsule from entering Australia.
If these capsules are found at the border by Customs they will be seized and destroyed.
The TGA is advising consumers to exercise extreme caution when purchasing medicines from unknown overseas Internet sites. Products purchased over the Internet:
- may contain undisclosed and potentially harmful ingredients
- may not meet the same standards of quality, safety and efficacy as those approved by the TGA for supply in Australia.
Report counterfeit medicines and medical devices
If you are worried about counterfeit medicines or medical devices, and want to report an issue, you can report the matter to the TGA:
|Online:||Report a perceived breach of the Therapeutic Goods Act or questionable practices relating to therapeutic products|
Therapeutic Goods Administration