You are here
Ya Buk capsules
Ya Buk capsules pose a serious risk to your health and should not be taken.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has tested Ya Buk capsules and found that:
- they contain the undeclared prescription substance sibutramine.
- consumers are advised that sibutramine is a prescription-only substance (which was the active ingredient in Reductil). It was withdrawn in October 2010 after a study showed an increased risk of major cardiac events.
The supply of Ya Buk capsules is illegal.
Ya Buk capsules have not been assessed by the TGA for quality, safety or efficacy as required under Australian legislation, and the place of manufacture are not approved by the TGA.
TGA investigations have shown that people in Australia may have bought the product online.
Information for consumers
- Stop taking Ya Buk capsules and take any remaining capsules to your local pharmacy for safe disposal.
- If you have any concerns arising from your use of this product, consult your health care practitioner.
- The ACCC has provided additional information, Watch out for weight loss scams, about the risks of scams promoting weight loss.
Action the TGA is taking
The TGA is working with Australian Customs and Border Protection Services (Customs) to help stop future shipments of Ya Buk capsules from entering Australia.
If these capsules are found at the border by Customs they will be seized and destroyed.
The TGA is advising consumers to exercise extreme caution when purchasing medicines from unknown overseas Internet sites. Products purchased over the Internet:
- may contain undisclosed and potentially harmful ingredients
- may not meet the same standards of quality, safety and efficacy as those approved by the TGA for supply in Australia.
Report counterfeit medicines and medical devices
If you are worried about counterfeit medicines or medical devices, and want to report an issue, you can report the matter to the TGA:
|Phone:||1800 020 653|
|Online:||Report a perceived breach of the Therapeutic Goods Act or questionable practices relating to therapeutic products|