Xiyouji Qingzhi weight loss capsules
The supply of Xiyouji Qingzhi weight loss capsules in Australia is illegal. However, a number of people in Australia have bought the product online.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has tested Xiyouji Qingzhi weight loss capsules and found that:
- it contains the undeclared prescription substance sibutramine (which was the active ingredient in Reductil) - this is despite the claim made on the box that it is a natural product and contains no medicines.
- consumers are advised that sibutramine was a prescription-only medicine supplied in Australia until it was withdrawn in October 2010 after a study showed an increased risk of major cardiac events.
- the levels of sibutramine the capsules contain are higher than the levels previously approved by the TGA for prescription sibutramine.
Information for consumers
Xiyouji Qingzhi weight loss capsules poses a serious risk to your health.
- Stop taking Xiyouji Qingzhi weight loss capsules and discard any remaining capsules.
- If you have any concerns arising from your use of this product, consult your health care practitioner.
Xiyouji Qingzhi weight loss capsules have not been assessed by the TGA for quality, safety or efficacy as required under Australian legislation, and the place of manufacture is not approved by the TGA.
Action the TGA is taking
The TGA is working with Australian Customs and Border Protection Services (Customs) to help stop future shipments of Xiyouji Qingzhi weight loss capsules from entering Australia.
If these tablets are found at the border by Customs they will be seized and destroyed.
The TGA is advising consumers to exercise extreme caution when purchasing medicines from unknown overseas Internet sites. Products purchased over the Internet:
- may contain undisclosed and potentially harmful ingredients
- may not meet the same standards of quality, safety and efficacy as those approved by the TGA for supply in Australia.
Report counterfeit medicines and medical devices
If you are worried about counterfeit medicines or medical devices, and want to report an issue, you can report the matter to the TGA:
in writing, via post to:
Regulatory Compliance Unit
Therapeutic Goods Administration
PO Box 100
Woden ACT 2606