Database of section 19A approvals to import and supply medicines to address medicine shortages
This database provides information on medicines not on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) that are approved for import and supply in Australia because:
- there is a shortage of a medicine registered in Australia; and
- the medicine is needed in the interest of public health.
The database holds information on approvals current on or after 21 Feburary 2018. Contact the TGA’s Medicines Shortages Section for information on approvals that expired or lapsed before 21 Feburary 2018.
Consumers can use medicines accessed under section 19A until the medicines expire.
The ‘Import and supply approved until’ date applies to the approval holder importing and supplying the medicine.
The Medicines Shortages Information Initiative lists medicines that are unavailable or in short supply. If you are having difficulty obtaining a treatment that has been prescribed to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
- a decision has been made about whether or not to register the medicine in Australia
- any of the specific criteria for approval no longer apply (for example, the registered medicine is no longer in short supply)
- a condition of approval has been breached.
- the approval applies only to the medicine specified in the approval
- the approval is only for importation into and supply within Australia
- the medicine is sourced from manufacturers with acceptable evidence of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- a letter to health professionals who will be prescribing the medicine is usually required
- the goods must be labelled with the name and address of the approval holder to ensure that adverse events can be reported.
Standard conditions of approval
Section 19A approvals are granted for a specified period, which usually coincides with the period that the medicine on the ARTG is unavailable or in short supply. However, approval may lapse early if:
Section 19A approvals are subject to a number of conditions specified by the TGA including the following (though additional conditions can be imposed where the circumstances warrant it):