Complementary medicines reforms
On 15 September 2016, the Australian Government released its response to the Review of Medicines and Medical Devices Regulation.
Catalogue of permitted ingredients for use in listed medicines
The TGA is pleased to announce that an online catalogue of ingredients approved for use in listed medicines has been finalised and is now available.
The online catalogue implements Recommendation 37 of the Medicines and Medical Devices Review (MMDR). This increases transparency for both industry and consumers around the requirements for ingredients used in listed medicines as well as reducing complexities for business.
The catalogue can be accessed via the Ingredient Table search facility on the TGA Business Services website.
Listed medicines can only contain certain low risk ingredients in acceptable amounts that are approved by the TGA. The ingredients available for use in listed medicines and requirements associated with their use are specified in the Permissible Ingredients Determination.
What has changed?
The TGA has made changes to the existing Ingredient Table to allow for a catalogue of ingredients approved for use in listed medicines.
Key features of the catalogue include:
- All listed medicine ingredient information and associated requirements are now available in a single online database. This information aligns with the Permissible Ingredients Determination which will continue to provide the legislative basis for listed medicines ingredient availability.
- Updates to the catalogue when changes are made to the Permissible Ingredients Determination.
- Stakeholders will be able to conduct searches using ingredient information such as ingredient synonym terms and key word searches.
- Ingredient Table search results have been enhanced to make it more obvious to users where to access detailed ingredient information.
- Stakeholders can now access the Ingredients Table directly from the home page of the TGA Website and from the welcome message in the Listed Medicine application form.
If you have any issues accessing or using the ingredient search functions on the TBS Website, please contact Complementary Medicines via phone on 1800 020 653 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.